Before 1978 many house paints were made with lead. There are a few reasons for this. One, lead paint is very durable and will last for years. Two, depending on the color of the paint, lead can be used to create pigments mainly of white and yellow. Three lead paint covers very well so a little bit goes a long way.
The problem with lead paint, is the lead. Lead is poisonous. Lead is especially damaging to children under age six, whose bodies are still developing. It causes nervous system damage, stunted growth, kidney damage, and delayed development. It is particularly dangerous to children because it tastes sweet, encouraging children to put lead chips and toys with lead dust in their mouths. Lead paint is also dangerous to adults and can cause reproductive problems in both men and women.
A myth regarding lead-based paint claims that children must eat lead-paint chips to develop lead poisoning. In actuality, ingestion of lead dust, which can be dislodged from deteriorating paint or can be generated during painting, also occurs when children get lead dust on their hands and then touch their mouths.
Many people try to cover the old lead paint with a newer coat in an attempt to get rid of the danger. This works in some cases, but as the new paint wears off from the opening and closing of doors and windows, the lead paint underneath can be there to cause problems. The best way to deal with lead paint is to get rid of it and and EPA lead paint certified specialist like Mountain Valley Painting can help you determine the best way to do this.
If your house was built before 1978 you should get your paint tested for lead. If you find that your house does contain lead paint, then call us today and we can help you determine the best course of action to keep you and your family safe, and repaint your home with a great looking and safe paint.